The RC Book

Problem Statement: I bought my bike Royal Enfield Classic 350 maroon colour, a reason for many to be envious, on 6'th June 2010. I was told by my salesman that I would be receiving my registration certificate in a month. I shifted my house in that period but I had good relation with the guard of that apartment and had told him, "if the RC smart card arrives via post, give me a call". I also had made frequent visits to that house and inquired about the RC smart card. After a month till the end of eleven months I had made many calls to the showroom as well as RT office for the RC book but all these calls were of no use. I also went to the showroom once but he said me to collect it from RT office. Each weekend I thought of going to the electronic city RTO which was some twenty plus kilometers from my house but because of my "matiyao" nature was not able to accomplish this task. Eleventh hour arrived when I had to renew my insurance. I made calls to the insurance office who said I can renew online and won't have to visit his office (relief for me) but will need my RC book. Now there was no way out and I needed my RC book at any cost. That was also required for transportation of my bike to delhi for my dream trip to Leh.

Solution:After making up mind and keeping procrastination aside, one weekend in the eleventh month I reached my showroom with great determination. I inquired the guy named Suresh, the same guy whom I had made several calls and who had stopped taking my calls. His search in his desk, as already anticipated, was futile. One of the on lookers after seeing my registration number asked if I was out of India that I have come so late for the registration certificate. I told him about my inquiries through phone calls to which he amusingly said, "Its a government office Sar. Many times your regular visits also won't solve your problem and you are thinking that few phone calls will solve your problem." His statement strengthen my determination and I decided whatever happens I'll go to that dreaded government office and get my work done. This fear in me for government offices was not unreasonable. It had a history. My maiden visit to one of such offices in my hometown was horrible. I had went for some certificate I don't remember. It was crowded like local trains of Mumbai(I have just seen them on screen not in reality). I kept struggling at the desk of Bada Babu for about an hour and was not able to speak to the guy.
Anyways this time I had to overcome that fear by accomplishing this task. Without wasting any time I left for the RT office. The same guy Suresh was also to reach RT office after sometime. I took his number so that he might help me out in case if there is any language problem. I reached the RT office and the same scene was there with too many people shouting for their respective jobs to be done. I asked several people and reached table of my interest and to my relief there were not many people on this table. I inquired the guy named "Basant" about my RC smart card. This guy also searched his desk without any success and announced that postal system has not returned the speed post yet. How can it take a speed post to reach my old house and then return back to RT office more than an year. Even with slowest mean of transportation it would have taken one day. The total distance wouldn't have been more that 40-50 kms. I asked him steps to be followed. He said me to come back on monday and he will give the registration number of the speed post through which I would be able to track that. He showed me a big almirah and told me that paper containing registration number would be somewhere there. I wanted to ask him if he wants any bribe for giving me the registration certificate but I was not able to ask him directly. Having no other option I relied upon him and left from there for one complete week of useless calls to him. Sometimes he used to say he will tell me the number in 2 hours, its taking time, or the guy searching is new and is not able to find the file and similar reasons without any logic. I got fed up with his replies and I'm sure he must also have become frustrated with my incessant calls.
Now I was sure this way its not going to work. I also made a call to one of my local friend and told him about my problem. I thought he will help in connecting through this guy Basant in his local language but he told he has a friend in Kormangla RT office. But that week his RTO office friend was never free to handle my problem. Then I started searching net frantically for solution. Somewhere I read the procedure for getting duplicate registration certificate. "तब जाकर मेरी बत्ती जली" and it was clear that only this is the solution. Although Basant had called me on saturday to tell me the registration number of the speed post, I decided that I'll go prepared with all the documents to apply for duplicate RC. I had referred this link for the procedure. And it is very helpful blog and has explained the process in detail.
On the fateful day I was in a mood to have fun. So in the morning after having general jogging and heavy breakfast left my house at 9:45 am on borrowed bicycle with documents in a bag and playlist of my favorite songs in my mobile. With those songs and excellent bangalore weather I started my ride. First destination was HAL police station. As if luck was on my side this day, the police station was not at all crowded. Just beside the lock up was the guy who used to write complains. Before handing over me the complain with challan he openly asked for money which I didn't refuse. The complain cost me Rs 150. At such places I generally keep as much money as I want to give in my purse. He asked me for Rs200. I showed him I just have Rs 150 in my purse which he accepted unwillingly. Then I headed towards RT office. I went through sarjapur road. I had never went to this part of the city. It seemed to be closer to Gurgaon in appearance and far from Bangalore. Bangalore has a garden city image but this region was all arid and dry. Anyways I like riding on roads on which I have not travelled. So I fully enjoyed the ride with the songs and the surroundings.
I reached RT office in time where Basant was nowhere to be found. I asked some other guy about the registration number of speed post to which he said he will give it in 15 minutes. He was also not sure of his statement. Anyways I kept standing there itself. Some other inquirer was asking about how to apply for duplicate RC. That was my topic of interest. The inquirer left without hearing his response but I carried on. And I said him I want to apply for it. He said you are doing the right thing. Even if you would have got the registration number of speed post and would have asked postal service about your speed post, they would have sent a regret letter saying that they keep records of only one month. To this response I was a bit pissed. Why didn't he said this thing on the very first day. I kept my feelings to myself as this reaction of mine might ruin the further process. I pacified myself assuming that government offices are like this only. He asked me to take a form 22 which was all in kannada. He told me what all was to be filled. Then a copy of the police complain, identity proof and registration challan of the bike was attached. Then he asked me to get an affidavit from a nearby advocate saying that I have lost my RC book. All the papers were then verified by him. I was then directed to a lady who had to sign. She signed and directed me to ARTO for signature. He saw my identity proof and signed my application. Then I paid Rs235 at the counter, attached the challan and submitted the paper. They have asked me to come after a week and collect the duplicate RC book. The last steps were real smooth and I was convinced it may be one of the best government offices. Lets see what happens next week. Next week also I have planned to ride on bicycle, collect duplicate RC book and then go for insurance renewal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming Madness

A Fine Sunday Morning

Don't know what Title I should keep