Freindship Day'10

This year two of my brothers were there with me at my flat. Last day we watched Once upon a time in mumbai, a movie filled with heavy dialogues, great characters. I didn't like the way one of the leading lady was treated in movie, it was definitely not a respectful way to treat a lady. I couldn't figure out why was she in love with the lead. But this is not what I'm going to talk about today. I want to scribble about something which happened for the first time today.
In the evening my brothers left for Pune some two hours before the train timing so that they have enough time to reach the station before train. I'll come back to this point again to tell you what happened with them. So, as soon as they left I and my flatmate left for BTM Layout to surprise his sister as it was her b'day. We went on my brand new RE Classic 350 which was delivered just a month before after a waiting period of six months. So you can imagine how much did I love my bike for which I could wait for such a long period and spend a fortune over it. And this period was not spared from distraction from other options which were equally tempting but I couldn't get over with the love for my maroon colored sweetheart. And I remained glued on to my love and waited patiently for half an year.
Back to the mainline story, we reached wished her and left. Oh wait there was something more. When we were leaving from our flat our third flatmate expressed that he has to buy something so he also wanted to come with us. Since tripling would be caught in bangalore traffic so he had to come by bus. And we decided to meet in Forum Mall. But it took more time than expected for the wishes and my third flatmate left from the Mall after waiting for us for a long time. For sure he would have cursed us a lot and that we were going to know very soon.
After leaving from BTM Layout we took inner ring road which nice, broad smooth. Climate was good as it always is in bangalore and I was enjoying my ride on my classic. I glanced on the speedometer which read 80KMPH which was ok as all other vehicles were also on the same speed. We were nearing the Domlur over-bridge and suddenly BAAANNNGGGG. I realized after few seconds what has happened. I had hit the car in front of me since it had stopped all of a sudden. My chappals were out on the road, bike was standing still, it had made a dent of some 4, 5 cms in the sedan in front. My flatmate brought the chappals which made me realise that he is all fine and nothing has happened to him. I just scanned my body, I was also safe and sound the only abnormal thing i noticed was that my thighs, arms were all stiff. That is I think some natural body response to a sudden collision. I tried to pull back my bike, but it refused to move as if I had broken its heart. The car moved away, then also I was not able to pull back my bike. Then I tried to check what all damages happened to the bike. The handle bar was completely disoriented, it had rotated 180 degree in front. We were standing in the middle of the road and other vehicles were just passing by. Had it been my city for sure there would have been a crowd gathered near bike and some sort of traffic jam would have occurred. But that was not the case here. After much effort on my and my flat-mate's part we were able to drag my 182 kgs bike to the side of the road.
Then we went to the car I hit which was also parked in the side of the road to check what had happened. There was a pulsar and another car also. The other car had a delhi registration but the owner of the car was speaking kannada so I assume that he was a local resident. He was with his wife. It all happened because he was unable to decide which way to go, whether to take the fly over or not, so he had stopped his car in the middle of the road. The pulsar was behind that car and whose rider was also in his prime like me. He had applied his break to full extent and hence toppled from his bike, went for few inches in the air and then had fallen on the ground. Behind him the sedan was there and in a desperate move to save the life of the pulsar chap, he had applied his hand brake to stop the car from running over the guy. And we were behind him. Thankfully there was no vehicle following us or else we would have been sandwiched between the car and the vehicle.
The guy was in complete shock, anyone would be in the same situation after getting so close to death. The lady in the car was talking some nonsense and both wife and husband were giving lame arguments to get out from this situation. Traffic police had also arrived. All the talks were done in kannada so we were not able to understand anything and the culprit couple was gone very soon. The pulsar guy also left after getting his breathe back. This is a completely professional city where no one is interested in creating a mess. At least in my city the discussion would have gone for hours and I'm sure many more people would have pitched in taking sides. But here nothing happened. The sedan guy just asked whether the damages were huge and if the bike is insured and he also left.
We returned back to my damaged crippled bike. I took a closer look, the front wheel was pushed back and chassis was deformed to reduce the wheel base. The mudguard was completely deformed and it had clamped the wheel making it impossible to move. We made calls to 24 hours support number given by my retailer. But there was no response. I called the showroom guy to ask what to do. He was in chennai at that time and he said somehow you take your bike to the service center and from there they will take care of it. It seemed impossible to take that bike to the service center which was some 15kms from there. We called just dial to get some vehicle to tow away the bike but it was of no use. They said they only provide service for four wheelers. I was wondering I've spent money almost equivalent to the cheapest four wheeler for that reason they should have carried my bike. We were out options.
Then we resorted to my way, the crude independent way. My flatmate rotated the clutch bar so that it can be used with the rotated handle bar. Front brakes were also dealt in the same way. I opened the disk brake and completely dismantled the mud-guard. I started the bike and we were good to go. It was a bit tough to ride the bike with its current situation. On straight road it was fine but on turnings the bike refused to take steep turns. I had to manage with that. I was slow enough so that I don't have to cut steeply through some vehicle. With much effort we reached the service center, parked the bike there and took an auto rickshaw on the way back.
When we reached home, I found my brothers. They had missed the train thanks to bangalore traffic. Finally the traumatic day was over but it could have gone worse had I been on any other bike. For sure it wouldn't have stood still. It would have toppled and we would have got hurt. I thanked my bike in my heart and slept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming Madness

A Fine Sunday Morning

Don't know what Title I should keep