Why Should one work in a Service Company

Finally I have reached the last week of my notice period. First I should define the notice period for people who might not be from private sector or who are still student. This is the period between the day you notify of your resignation to your current employer and the day you are actually leave the company. This is very crucial period for you and you get a chance to think and rethink your decision. And if by any chance you revert your decision then its a jackpot for your current employer. In this period you go through several meetings with your L1 manager, L2 manager, HR people and they all try to convince you that this is the best place for you to work and you should appreciate the fact that the company has really worked hard to build your career as well. These all persuasions are elements of this period. I also faced these things and during the course of this period I was made aware of the benefits of working in a service company and that brings me to the topic of the post.
In a service company you get a variety of fields projects to work upon. You have much more options available with you and you can actually try them out and see what suits you the best. You want to be a developer or a consultant or anything else. After working for a period in a project you can switch to other project and if you are not feeling comfortable in your current project. In case of my current employer this minimum period fixed was of eighteen months and there were many examples where people changed their projects according to their liking. A vast number of opportunities used be available there at intra net where I could browse and see the requirement, talk to the manager and apply to that project. In product company you don't get this flexibility. You are associated with a product and you survive with it. You will be working on release after release with a little bit of added functionality on the same product.
Second argument, in service company you are more of a team player and you lead a team much sooner than in a product company where you are more of a individual player. This is truth. One of my friend, who was in the team with the starting of the project, was a able to play a crucial role in hiring other team members and that also just with an experience of one year. He has got much more responsibility than any other of my classmates working with product companies. One year into my project, I'm also training freshers in my team. You get ample opportunities to display your leadership skills. There is something called "ambassador to your college" concept in my current employer. I'm one of them. So, I regularly interact with students of my college and tell them about the company and industry general and believe it really feels good to address a set of people.
Third argument, since this is a service company and your client can be in any part of the world so you get much more onsite opportunities than a product company. In product companies mostly marketting team keeps travelling round the world. But in this case testers, developers all for various reason, knowledge transfer or deployment, get chance to visit onsite locations.
These all were favourable points kept for service companies. Just wanted to share with you all ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming Madness

A Fine Sunday Morning

Don't know what Title I should keep